Monday, January 31, 2011

I had a classmate ask me today how I decided on going for a Business Management Degree.  He is just a 20 year old kid who is starting community college. I told him that I worked for several years and figured out what skills come naturally to me.  Then I went back to school and just knew what I have a knack for.  He said that was the best idea that he had heard of.  I can't believe someone else has never said that to him before!

This also makes me feel that someone has failed this kid.  My mother had always asked me what I thought I wanted to do. She told me to pick something that I liked to do and go to school for it.  I knew that I liked to cook a lot, so off I went to culinary school.  Well that lasted not long at all.  I got to school and found out that I would never have a cushy 9-5 schedule.  I would work long, odd hours.  I knew that I would never have a normal life if I choose this path... so I bolted from that idea quickly.  To this day, I still love to cook for my family and friends, but I will just keep it to them.  I never want cooking to feel like a job.

When I moved back to Colorado in 2006 I started working retail.  I quickly discovered that it came naturally to me, I loved having sales goals and fun customers.  I also quickly moved up to an assistant manager, then to a store manager.  I loved being responsible for making sale goals and training new employees.  Supervision is not for everyone, but I know it's for me.  I liked the long hours and responsibility.  I did leave retail to experience other options though.  I had too many people tell me I needed to try other things before I settle in retail.  

So off I went to a completely different field... medical.  I became a receptionist at an internists clinic.  I loved that everything was new and challenging to me.  I learned as much as I could in that position.  I really liked the position, just not the company that I worked for.  I wasn't sure if the medical field was really for me, so I once again took a chance and tried another field.. banking.  I tried banking for a year, but realized it was ok, but not challenging enough for me.  I missed the excitement of deadlines, or a busy doctor's office.  This made me go back to the medical field, and I am still in it today.  I have worked everything from billing, financing, scheduling and front desk in the medical scene.  I feel very comfortable here, but know that I would like to combine my love for the medical field and management.  Hopefully someday I could be an office manager at a practice, or even be a team lead at a hospital.     Jobs always change, but I feel like I know what I am good at for once.. 

Maybe I should just give my classmate my blog link and this will help him out.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment